Rock Club Information
Terms & Conditions
What is Rock Club / Who can Join?
Rock Club is a popular after-school activity run by SMS for St Johns Academy students.
How do I Join?
Click here for the application form.
3.15-4.30pm each Wednesday at St Johns (music corridor).
£35.00 per half term per person. (A pro rata reduction will be made if joining Rock Club mid term).
As a school club, the price is fixed at £35 for each half term, irrespective of the length of each half term, based on 75 mins per session.
(Reviewable each Sep)
We send an invoice in advance of the beginning of each half term (in line with the school calendar - six times per academic year)
Stopping Rock Club
As from September 2017, a notice period of one half term is required to leave Rock Club, to enable us an opportunity to fill the space in a band. The notice must be given at the end of a term.
- A great opportunity to play in a band situation in a positive, supportive musical environment, with assistance and guidance from a professional musician.
- The club offers dedicated rehearsal space and some allocated equipment/backline each week.
- SMS teachers help each band with lyric writing, playing covers or own compositions, plus decision making, dispute resolution and working with others.
- Subject to numbers/demand, there maybe an opportunity to perform. (Not compulsory).
- Band audio recordings/videos may also be made. It really depends on the band, commitment, and overall progress....!
- Existing bands are encouraged to join, as well as individual musicians, who can join up and placed in a band.
- All abilities and contemporary instruments welcome, although singers in particular are always in short supply!
- Some ability to play is required, but no band experience is necessary.
- Attendance for one half term gives first refusal for subsequent terms. First come first served....(Waiting lists may apply).
- After making an application to join, please wait for confirmation before starting.
- Please do not simply turn up! We need to allocate the students into the bands to ensure a balance of instruments/abilities.
- Minimum numbers are required for the course to run in any one half term.
- There are 6 courses each year, i.e. one each half term. The exact number of weeks in each half term depends on St Johns.
- Students must be ready 5 minutes before their allotted time.
- Students to congregate in the atrium whilst waiting. (No access is available beforehand).
- All setting up, packing away, room tidying needs to take place promptly, within the 75 min session.
- Students need to bring their own ear defenders, writing materials and materials being worked on.
- Guitarists and bass players need to bring their own guitar and leads.
- Vocalists need to bring their own mic/lead. Drummers need to bring their own sticks. Piano, drum kit and PA/amps are provided.
- At the end of Rock Club, the meeting point to pick up students will be in the atrium.
- Parents/carers are responsible for picking up (or any other arrangement) immediately the session has finished.
- We unfortunately cannot guarantee a place in SJ Rock Club. It is subject to availability and also instrument, e.g. we often have a waiting list for drummers, but other instruments are generally easier to accommodate, plus drum kits need to be provided by the school therefore there are limited slots.
Other Terms and Conditions
Bands will be either be ‘established’ or ‘allocated’. Established bands need to register as a band including all members which will guarantee their place and dedicated room. Allocated bands will be made up of students who join as individuals. Allocated bands will be created by SMS according to age, experience and instrument.
Fees, Missed Sessions
Fees shall be invoiced and are payable in advance of each half term commencing. Irrespective of the number of players in a band, fees are the same for each student. We unfortunately cannot refund any missed weeks by the student. (As a school club, the price is fixed at £35 for each half term. ). If SMS for whatever reason needs to cancel a week, a pro-rata refund for the week will be offered.
Alteration to Terms / Tutor Allocation
SMS reserve the right to vary the standard conditions to suit the courses as they develop. Any such variations will be made known. We reserve the right to allocate particular teacher/s to deliver this service and this may need to change leader from time to time. Cover may also be provided by different teachers in the event of sickness or absence.
Housekeeping / Tidying
Please can all students be reminded to respect the school equipment during use, and on completion tidy their rooms, put amps away against walls (avoid leaving in the middle of the rooms), tidy litter etc after each session. We obviously need to leave the spaces tidy and ready for class the following morning.
Data Protection Policy
Photographs / Videoing / Audio Recording Policy
Children Safeguarding Policy
- The Student / Parent / Carer will be responsible for any loss / damage incurred to any instrument, accessory or music loaned / hired by SMS to the student.
- Such items will be returned on request to SMS.
- SMS carry public liability insurance and all SMS tutors are DBS (CRB) checked.
- SMS must be informed of any medical or other condition affecting the student.
- Parents / carers will be responsible for picking up (or any other arrangement) immediately Rock Club has finished.
- Portable electrical equipment must be PAT tested before being permitted for use in the school.